PTA Board Positions
Please note any position listed below that is highlighted in Yellow is a current OPEN Position, if you would like to join the PTA Board or any of the Positions listed please email the PTA President (firstname.lastname@example.org)
President - Oversees PTA Calendar, budget and coordinates PTA sponsored activities with the school. Responsible for chair positions under President:
- Council Delegate/Legislative: Attends monthly Plano Council of PTAs meetings and shares information from those meetings with the PTA Board. Monitors legislative efforts and keeps PTA informed of any local, state or federal legislation that would impact Mathews
- Webmaster/Membership Toolkit: Keeps all online resources up to date, advertise sign ups as required and ensure parents/faculty and staff can use online tools as a repository for information that needs to be shared.
- Junior Achievement: Works with Junior Achievement to get and train volunteers to deliver grade level junior achievement programs.
- Meet the Teacher: Coordinates events for students to meet teachers, disseminate PTA and school information and welcome students to the new school year.
Principal - School Principal
Secretary - Takes minutes of all PTA meetings and submits for approval at each meeting. Binds all minutes for permanent record and distributes sign in sheets at all meetings.
Treasurer - Responsible for all financial accounts, deposits money, writes checks, runs monthly financial reports, submits yearly sales tax and annual income tax forms.
Parliamentarian - Attends meetings and ensures PTA is following bylaws and standing rules. Oversees Nominating Committee and submits updated bylaws at least every 4 years and standing rules adjustments as needed.
VP of Programs - Works with counselor to select and schedule parent education programs. Works with school administration to schedule needed resources for assemblies. Responsible for chair positions under Programs:
- Reflections: Responsible for the annual National Reflections contest.
- Environmental: Purchases and plants flowers at school entryways. Maintains entry as needed for aesthetic purposes.
- Health and Safety: Works with school administration to develop, plan and advertise Red Ribbon Week program. Also, coordinates Healthy Lifestyles week and any other district initiatives involving health and safety.
- Hospitality: Works with the PTA board and school administration to make sure teachers and staff are recognized and rewarded throughout the year.
- SAGE: Works with district to ensure SAGE program is advertised and parents are engaged.
- After School Programs: Work with vendors to sign up, advertise, and provide information to parents regarding after school programs. Assist parents with registration process, ensure payments from parents and to vendors.
- Multicultural Awareness: Design and run a program that celebrates diversity and inclusion at Mathews.
VP of Membership - Submit members and dues to Texas PTA at least monthly, and become familiar with the structure of membership dues. Recruit new members throughout the year with the goal of recruiting one member for every student on campus. In charge of Life Membership / Extended service awards, and Texas PTA Membership Awards. Follow the timeline to plan for the Plano ISD Council Life Member Banquet held in the Spring. Responsible for chair position under Membership
- Dad’s Club: Organize a group of dads that are willing to assist the school and the PTA with volunteer needs (donuts with Dad’s Club event in the Spring, book fair set up / take down, Field Day set up/take down, carpool, etc.)
VP of Ways and Means - Oversees all fundraising activities. Responsible for chair positions under Ways and Means:
- Book Fair: Responsible for working with scholastic to plan and execute a spring and a fall book fair.
- Primary Fundraiser: Responsible for planning, advertising and executing the primary fundraiser for the year. This year, that will simply include working with APEX to run a successful fundraiser and to provide needed school resources.
- Box Tops/Partnerships: Responsible for advertising, collecting and submitting Box Tops for reimbursement to Mathews. Work with vendors and share information with parents so the school can get financial support. Examples: Amazon Smile, Mabel’s Labels, Kroger, Tom Thumb, etc.
- School Supplies: Work with teachers and EPI to provide school supply packs and planners to students.
- Spirit Goods: Create designs and choose merchandise to sell to students and parents throughout the year.
- Spirit Events: Work to set up events at local restaurants and event venues that will return a portion of proceeds to Mathews.
Communications - Coordinates activities of all communication and media. Responsible for chair positions under Communications:
- Bulletin Board/Marquee: Work with school administration and the PTA Board to keep the bulletin board and marquee up to date and advertise information as needed
- Mavs Express: Prepare the weekly Mavs Express e-newsletter distribution by canvassing the PTA board, school administration, teachers, etc. for information needing to be shared.
- Publicity/Social Media: Keep Mathews in the news and share information on social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Next Door) as needed.
- Yearbook: Work with the yearbook vendor to design, create and develop an annual yearbook to be sold to students. Advertise sales, collect money and arrange distribution.
VP of Volunteers - Oversees all volunteer needs / activities. Responsible for chair positions under Volunteers:
- Field Day: Work with coaches to set up a field day event (for this year, in conjunction with the APEX event). Provide needed materials, supplies and volunteers.
- Grade Level Room Representatives:
- Pre-K Representative: Work with Pre-K teachers to assist with classroom needs throughout the year and execute Winter Party, Friendship Party and End of Year Party.
- Kindergarten Representative: Work with Kindergarten teachers to assist with classroom needs throughout the year and execute Winter Party, Friendship Party and End of Year Party.
- 1st Grade Representative: Work with 1st Grade teachers to assist with classroom needs throughout the year and execute Winter Party, Friendship Party and End of Year Party.
- 2nd Grade Representative: Work with 2nd Grade teachers to assist with classroom needs throughout the year and execute Winter Party, Friendship Party and End of Year Party.
- 3rd Grade Representative: Work with 3rd Grade teachers to assist with classroom needs throughout the year and execute Winter Party, Friendship Party and End of Year Party.
- 4th Grade Representative: Work with 4th Grade teachers to assist with classroom needs throughout the year and execute Winter Party, Friendship Party and End of Year Party.
- 5th Grade Representative: Work with 5th Grade teachers to assist with classroom needs throughout the year and execute Winter Party, Friendship Party, End of Year Party, Colonial Days and assist with 5th Grade Graduation.
Support Mathews PTA